Re: "var" declarations shadowing properties from Window.prototype

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:16:13 -0400
To: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
CC: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, public-script-coord@w3.org, es-discuss@mozilla.org
On 8/11/12 10:57 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> I think WebIDL and interface-based method definition made onload, e.g., predefined on
> window objects, or more recently on Window.prototype. Was this useful?

It's required for web compat, as I said earlier in this thread.  They
_could_ perhaps be predefined as data properties set to null, but data
properties which have as a side effect of setting them to a function
object the registration of an event listener... which starts to look a
lot like an accessor property to me.