Re: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

Glenn Adams wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Erik Corry <erik.corry@gmail.com
> <mailto:erik.corry@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > level 3 is useful for higher level, language/locale sensitive text
>
>     No, the Unicode grapheme clustering algorithm is not locale or
>     language sensitive
>     http://unicode.org/reports/tr29/#Grapheme_Cluster_Boundaries
>

> one final comment: the Unicode algorithm is intended to define default
> behavior only:
>
> "This specification defines /default/ mechanisms; more sophisticated
> implementations can /and should/ tailor them for particular locales or
> environments."
>
> it specifically states that implementations *should* provide
> language/locale sensitive behavior;
>
> in actual text processing usage, one needs the language/locale
> sensitive behavior in most cases, not a default behavior
Right, and Gecko, WebKit, and other web rendering engines obviously need
to care about this. But they're invariably implemented mostly or wholly
*not* in JS.

It's a bit ambitious for JS to have such facilities.

I agree with Erik that the day may come, but ES6 is being prototyped and
spec'ed and we need to be done in 2012 to have the spec ready for 2013.
We should not overreach.

/be