Re: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

On Feb 21, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Norbert Lindenberg <ecmascript@norbertlindenberg.com> wrote:

> I'll reply to Brendan's proposal in two parts: first about the goals for supplementary character support, second about the BRS.
>
>> Full 21-bit Unicode support means all of:
>>
>> * indexing by characters, not uint16 storage units;
>> * counting length as one greater than the last index; and
>> * supporting escapes with (up to) six hexadecimal digits.
>
> For me, full 21-bit Unicode support has a different priority list.
>
> First come the essentials: Regular expressions; functions that interpret strings; the overall sense that all Unicode characters are supported.
>
> 1) Regular expressions must recognize supplementary characters as atomic entities, and interpret them according to Unicode semantics.

Sorry to have been unclear. In my proposal this follows from the first two bullets.

> 2) Built-in functions that interpret strings have to recognize supplementary characters as atomic entities and interpret them according to their Unicode semantics.

Ditto.

> 3) It must be clear that the full Unicode character set is allowed and supported.

Absolutely.

> Only after these essentials come the niceties of String representation and Unicode escapes:
>
> 4) 1 String element to 1 Unicode code point is indeed a very nice and desirable relationship. Unlike Java, where binary compatibility between virtual machines made a change from UTF-16 to UTF-32 impossible, JavaScript needs to be compatible only at the source code level - or maybe, with a BRS, not even that.

Right!

> 5) If we don't go for UTF-32, then there should be a few functions to simplify access to strings in terms of code points, such as String.fromCodePoint, String.prototype.codePointAt.

Those would help smooth out different BRS settings, indeed.

> 6) I strongly prefer the use of plain characters over Unicode escapes in source code, because plain text is much easier to read than sequences of hex values. However, the need for Unicode escapes is greater in the space of supplementary characters because here we often have to reference characters for which our operating systems don't have glyphs yet. And \u{1D11E} certainly makes it easier to cross-reference a character than \uD834\uDD1E. The new escape syntax therefore should be on the list, at low priority.

Allen and I were just discussing this as a desirable mini- strawman of its own, which Allen will write up for consideration at the next meeting.

We will also discuss the BRS . Did you have some thoughts on it?

> I think it would help if other people involved in this discussion also clarified what exactly their requirements are for "full Unicode support".

Again, apologies for not being explicit. I model the string methods as self-hosted using indexing and .length in straightforward ways. HTH,

/be