Re: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

From: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:29:36 -0800
To: "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>
CC: es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, mranney@voxer.com
Mark S. Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com
> <mailto:brendan@mozilla.com>> wrote:
> [...]
>
>         How? By doing a full walk of the object graph and doing
>         surgery on it? This sounds more painful than imposing
>         mediation up front.
>

>     No, by indirection, of course ;-). The details vary among browsers.
>

> I think just we're having a terminology problem. To me, such
> indirection is mediation.

Definitely I was unclear. The (different) mediation by WindowProxy is
good because local global (oxymoronic, ugh -- let's say "this global")
accesses are unmediated and can be super-optimized.

The mediation by trust-label indirection I was referring to above is
for-all-accesses. That is painful.

A compartment per global makes the process of finding the trust-label
(called a "Principal" in Gecko) significantly faster.

/be