Re: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

Brendan Eich wrote:
> Mark S. Miller wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com
>> <mailto:brendan@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>     Why the global object? Because for many VMs, each global has its
>>     own heap or sub-heap ("compartment"), and all references outside
>>     that heap are to local proxies that copy from, or in the case of
>>     immutable data, reference the remote heap.
>> [...]
>>
>> Is this true for same origin iframes? I have always assumed that
>> mixing heaps between same origin iframes results in unmediated direct
>> object-to-object access. If these are already mediated, what was the
>> issue that drove us to that?
>
> Not all engines mediate cross-same-origin-window accesses.

Sorry, I misused "mediate" incorrectly here to mean heap/compartment
isolation. All engines in browsers that conform to HTML5 must mediate
cross-frame Window (global object) accesses via WindowProxy, as
discussed in other followups.

> I hear IE9+ may, indeed rumor is it remotes to another process
> sometimes (breaking run-to-completion a bit; something we should
> explore breaking in the future for window=vat).

(Hope that parenthetical aside has you charged up -- we need a fresh
thread on that topic, though... ;-)

/be