Re: Numeric constants vs enumerated strings

Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> There are strong ties, in the sense that the said API would be exposing
> a readyState property (similar to XMLHttpRequest, HTMLMedia, etc).

For the WebSocket API in particular
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/#the-websocket-interface), I would
note that readyState is an unsigned short, while binaryType is a string
enumeration. I.e., there seems to have been a conscious decision to use
the former in spite of the preference for things like the latter (at
least just from looking at the IDL... I wasn't involved, so I don't know
the history).