Re: Numeric constants vs enumerated strings

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:16:56 +0100
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
(trimming cc as originally requested)

Le mercredi 15 février 2012 à 17:05 +0000, Marcos Caceres a écrit :
> > There are strong ties, in the sense that the said API would be exposing
> > a readyState property (similar to XMLHttpRequest, HTMLMedia, etc).
>
> I'm not sure there is any relationship to the internal state of an
> object and using object.SOME_HARD_TO_REMEMBER_AND_TYPE_THING…
> specially when you can just type "thing".

That's not the point; the point is that if we use strings for a
readyState property in one API, and numeric values in many others, we
would have scripts that have code that looks like:

if (XHR.readyState == 4) {

}
if (P2P.readyState == "done") {

}

That seems utterly confusing, hard to remember, hard to teach, etc.

Dom