Re: variable declarations shadowing named properties on window

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 03:16:53 -0500
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
CC: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Travis Leithead <Travis.Leithead@microsoft.com>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On 1/4/12 3:10 AM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> Yeah, sorry, I'm not too familiar with the implementation or spec side
> of this.

That's fine, especially because at the moment the two have very little
to do with each other.  ;)

>     Can we move frames away from being own properties of the window
>     (i.e. move them onto some prototype)?  That seems like the
>     "simplest" (in terms of how it works, not in terms of expressing it
>     in WebIDL) way of making var shadow their names.
>

> Seems fine to me. I don't see any downsides. Maybe I just don't
> understand the implications. :)

Well, it's not describable in WebIDL as it stands.  That's the main
downside from a spec perspective.

The other one is the usual "it's a behavior change, might break sites"
thing.