Re: [idl] ByteString

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:31:35 +1000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: public-script-coord@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren:
> What happened to the ByteString idea from
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012JanMar/1304.html
> and onwards. Especially for XMLHttpRequest this would make it much
> more clear that there is some bridge that needs to be crossed between
> HTTP and JavaScript.

I forgot about it. :)  I've added it now (in the v2 document):

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-ByteString
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-ByteString

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2006/webapi/WebIDL/Overview.xml.diff?r1=1.542;r2=1.543;f=h

> I guess a potential downside is that people might misuse it in
> contexts where it would not be appropriate and where you should use an
> actual byte representation of sorts instead.

Yes, we probably should have a warning in there.  Can you suggest some
wording?  I'm struggling to express the cases where you want to use
ByteString rather than a typed array of 8 bit integers.