Re: announcing normative ECMAScript specification in HTML

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:19:33 -0700
To: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>
Cc: es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Jason Orendorff <jason.orendorff@gmail.com>, Istvan Sebestyen <istvan@ecma-international.org>
On 5/24/12, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> Ecma International now hosts a normative HTML copy of Ecma-262, Edition 5.1
> The ECMAScript Language Specification.  The document includes a hyperlinked
> table of contents and supports external linking to  sections listed in the
> table of contents.
>
> The document may be accessed at http://ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1

This is good news.

Minor but I'll say it anyway: Don't instruct users on where to click.
What you have now:

"This ECMAScript Language Specification is also available in HTML file
format _here_."

Instead link the html version in the table:
"The following file can be freely downloaded:"

(Change to use plural "files")

"The following files can be freely downloaded:"
ECMA-262.pdf    3 067 290     Acrobat (r) PDF file
ECMA-262.html    3 067 290     text/html

With a big bold orange link for the html version.
--
Garrett
Twitter: @xkit