Re: announcing normative ECMAScript specification in HTML

From: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 11:13:46 -0700
Cc: es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Jason Orendorff <jason.orendorff@gmail.com>, Istvan Sebestyen <istvan@ecma-international.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>

On May 24, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Yay HTML, welcome to the nineties! ;-) We usually need to link to the
> latest version however, any chance of getting that?

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

is a gateway page that will always contain links to both the HTML and PDF version of the latest edition.  That might be most appropriate for a ""latest edition" reference.  But I would think that normative reference to specific specification subclauses need to be edition specific as both the subclause organization and the actual normative text is subject to change from edition to edition.  If you tried to link to the "latest edition" at a granular level you would have no guarantee as to what you were actually linking to.

Allen