Re: TypeError and use of bold

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:43:04 +1100
To: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
CC: public-script-coord@w3.org
Hi Marcos,

Marcos Caceres:
> TypeError is used throughout the spec, but does not link to its
> definition (particularly how to throw a TypeError).

As a slight aside: I have now added predefined exception types
corresponding to each of the ECMAScript error types.  Specs can now say
"Throw a TypeError" in a non-ECMAScript-specific context and for it to
mean something.

There are two senses of the word "throw" used in the document.

One is linked to #dfn-throw, which is what other specs should use when
they want to throw an IDL exception (or one of the newly predefined
ones).  It defines how to create a platform exception object of the
right type, set its name property if necessary, and then dispatches it.

The other is the ECMAScript algorithm sense.

Do you have a suggestion on how to clarify this?

> Also, the use of bold type faces is inconsistent with other specs:
> bold in other specs is used to denote a formal definition of
> something. In WebIDL it is used … kinda at random? :(
>
> Please use bold type faces where something is defined, otherwise it's
> really confusing when searching for definitions.

It's not random.  There's a guide at the top of the spec on how
formatting is used:

   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#conventions

So bold italic is for definitions.  Bold upright is for types.