Re: [WebIDL] Simplify callbacks

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:18:45 -0700
To: public-script-coord@w3.org, "Olli Pettay" <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>, olli@pettay.fi
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 13:37:16 -0700, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
wrote:
> On 11/08/2011 04:47 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> It seems that all callbacks use handleEvent() and we cannot change that
>> at this point I think.
>
> MutationObserver proposal has handleMutations(),
> animationframes has sample(), IndexedDB has transactionStarted() etc.
> So, no, all the callbacks don't use handleEvent(), and that is actually
> bad name for APIs which aren't handling events but some other data.

So some new APIs that can still be changed are not using handleEvent().
That does not seem like a good idea to me given everything else we have.
That only a couple of new APIs are doing this (and Indexed DB only
recently, TR/ does not have it) suggests someone has been shopping this
idea around, but I do not think there is wide agreement for it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/