Re: Lazy interface objects?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 00:57:22 +0000 (UTC)
To: David Flanagan <dflanagan@mozilla.com>
cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, public-script-coord@w3.org
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, David Flanagan wrote:

> The realistic interoperability requirement for these properties is that
> they be writeable (i.e. if I set a property to x and then read that
> property I get the value x back) not that they have a [[Writable]]
> attribute. Writing the specification at the property descriptor level
> simplifies things, but seems like a mistake to me.  We don't really need
> interoperability at the level of getOwnPropertyDescriptor, do we?

They need to be black-box indistinguishable in all implementations, modulo
hardware limitations. That is, given two compliant browsers implementing
the same features, there should not be a script that can tell you which
browser you're running based on logic (i.e. discounting timing attacks,
measuring memory limitations, etc).