Re: Removing 'caller' from WebIDL

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 23:12:25 -0400
To: Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>
CC: Sam Weinig <weinig@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Johnny Stenback <jst@mozilla.com>
On 9/4/11 5:47 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>> I should also note, that in WebKit, we allow plugins to make the HTMLObjectElement (as well as HTMLEmbedElement) callable via NPAPI, though that may be outside the scope of this issue.
>
> Is that different from other NPRuntime implementations? Cc'ing jst.

<object> and <embed> elements are callable in Gecko as well: they have a
[[Call]] and typeof(document.createElement("embed")) === "function".

Their prototype chain does not chain up to Function.prototype, though,
and I'm not sure whether it's possible to create that setup in pure ES
right now.

I rather doubt that making typeof(nodelist) === "function" is
web-compatible, though we could test that theory...