Re: [WebIDL] Handling undefined in Overload Resolution Algorithm

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:24:58 -0400
To: public-script-coord@w3.org
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 02:50:38 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
> wrote:
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>
> In general this sounds good to me. Has anyone tested legacy APIs like
> the open() method of XMLHttpRequest to see if you get the same? I sort
> of thought undefined was passed through, but maybe I misremember.

In Gecko, undefined used to be treated as "not specified" for
XMLHttpRequest.  When we changed to following the current spec (which
converts undefined to "undefined") we actually ran into compat issues
with some popular JS libraries that pass undefined for username/password
explicitly.  For now we're sticking it out, but it sure would be nice to
not have those compat issues!