Re: This binding and ES5 builtins

From: Jeff Walden <jwalden@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:29:50 -0700
To: "es5-discuss@mozilla.org" <es5-discuss@mozilla.org>
CC: Luke Hoban <lukeh@microsoft.com>, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
On 07/07/2011 01:17 PM, Jeff Walden wrote:
> Although I should note that people sometimes called __defineGetter__ and __defineSetter__ unqualified, so those methods do still coerce null/undefined this to a global object.

I should probably add that my recollection is that might have only been in "chrome" code in the implementation of Firefox itself, or in extensions written for it, so it's possible that could be changed as far as websites are concerned.  It didn't seem worth fighting through the narrow problem at the time for a non-standard method, when doing so might hold up fixing the standard methods which did have semantics requiring throwing for null/undefined this.

Jeff