Re: This binding and ES5 builtins

On Jul 7, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Luke Hoban wrote:
> Also, the note that “if a host supplied function is somehow converting this/undefined to the caller's global object it is doing something magical”, is concerning.  As far as I understand, with multiple globals, the web-compatible behaviour is to pass the caller-side global.  Pushing the burden of managing this to something magical the host functions need to take care of feels like the wrong direction, given what standard practice appears to have been.

No, the caller provided global is not web compatible -> type conversions (eg. primitive to Object equivalent, etc) are converted using what JSC terms the lexical global object: that is the global object in which a function is defined, this logically extends to |this| conversion.

It also means you can reason more about your code, take for example:

<global object1>
Number.prototype.times = function (f) { "use strict"; for (var i = 0; i < this; i++) f(); }
function imAwesome(count) {
    count.times(function(){alert("not cool")}
}

<global object2>
globalObject1.imAwesome(10);

If the callers global object was used for conversions the imAwesome function would not work.

--Oliver