RE: Removal of identifierless getters, setters, etc.

I was apparently at the meeting, but can't remember the rationale either...

-----Original Message-----
From: public-script-coord-request@w3.org [mailto:public-script-coord-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Cameron McCormack
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:24 PM
To: public-script-coord@w3.org
Subject: Removal of identifierless getters, setters, etc.

At TPAC last year, there was a discussion on Web IDL that resulted in a resolution to remove special operations (getters, setters, etc.) that have no identifier:

  http://www.w3.org/2009/11/02-webapps-minutes.html#item06

I don’t see any rationale there, so I wonder if anyone who was there could explain?

HTML5 currently uses a number of these, specifically:

  DOMStringMap - name getter, setter, creator & deleter
  HTMLDocument - name getter
  Window - name getter, index getter
  TimedTrackCueList - index getter
  CanvasPixelArray - index getter, index setter

Would the idea here be to given all of these an identifier but to declare them as omittable (so that in JS real method wouldn’t exist on these objects anyway)?

Thanks,

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/