Re: whether [Callback=FunctionOnly] should be the default

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:30:39 +1200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: public-script-coord@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren:
> Maybe [Callback] should mean [NoInterfaceObject]. I do not think we
> would ever want to expose the interface.

In the vast majority of cases, yes you do want to use [Callback] and
[NoInterfaceObject] together.  There’s at least one instance of an API
with an interface that can be implemented by user or host objects:

http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-XPath/xpath.html#XPathNSResolver

> Is the only reason for FunctionOnly event handlers?

That’s the case that I hear brought up.
http://people.mozilla.org/~cmccormack/tests/event-attribute-object.html
tells me that Chrome and Safari allow it, but Firefox/Opera/IE don’t.  I
don’t know whether there’s a real compatibility aspect to this or not.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/