Re: a more JavaScripty binding for exceptions

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> * new specs will define a new IDL exception for each exception to
>   define, rather than using DOMException (or a single new exception
>   type) and a number of exception codes

IMHO using different codes is more important than using different
interfaces since the usual pattern is just to check e.code in the handler.
Having to check e.code and the interface type makes things twice as
complicated.

Having to make sure all the spec writers for Web platform specs
communicate is *not a bug*. It's absolutely imperative not just for making
sure exception codes don't overlap (something that really hasn't been much
of a problem in practice since we have a de-facto registry that we use for
the purpose) but simply for making sure the platform remains sane! I think
it would be a mistake to make it easier for Web platform spec writers to
isolate themselves from the rest of the ecosystem.