Re: [WebIDL] interface objects with [Constructor] and [[Call]]

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 08:05:01 +0200
To: "Garrett Smith" <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, "Cameron McCormack" <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "James Graham" <jgraham@opera.com>, "Travis Leithead" <travil@microsoft.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, annevk@opera.com
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 07:49:38 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
wrote:

> Garrett Smith:
>> My statement in the previous paragraph is regarding the algorithm for
>> [[Construct]], as specified in ECMA-262. Were you discussing a
>> different [[Construct]]?
>
> Ah, I (mis-)interpreted it as a comment on all objects’ [[Construct]],
> be they native or host objects.
>
>> In ECMA-262, step 6 of [[Construct]] is:
>> | 6. Invoke the [[Call]] property of F, providing Result(1)
>> | as the this value and providing the argument list passed
>> | into [[Construct]] as the argument values.
>>
>> Understand that an object that implements [[Construct]] implements
>> [[Call]]. What is not known is what either of those commands will do.
>> That is what specification is for.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> How can an object implement [[Construct]] but not [[Call]]?
>
> It can if it is a host object and it has a [[Construct]] which is
> different from the one defined for native Function objects in ECMA-262.
> Then there is no need for it to have [[Call]].
>
>> I get what you're after here, you want to specify that certain
>> constructors throw a TypeError if not invoked via [[Construct]]. So
>> its just a matter of putting that into specification terminology.
>
> I think this isn’t strictly needed, since I believe you can have host
> objects that implement [[Construct]] but not [[Call]].
>
> I’ll note though that Web IDL currently doesn’t say whether the
> interface object is a native or a host object, but the requirement for
> it to have a [[Construct]] in some cases but not [[Call]] would imply
> that it needs to be a host object.
>

> Anyway, it is moot.  If we stick with disallowing calling interface
> objects to get a constructed object then I will make them implement
> [[Call]] (and thus be native Function objects) for consistency with
> built-ins.  If we change to allowing calling them, then it’s even more
> consistent.

At this point I'm confused at what you intend to change the spec to say.

It has been established that XMLHttpRequest needs to be able to be called
as a function for Web compat. In Opera, newly added constructors like
Worker and WebSocket are also allowed to be called as functions. So, I'd
like the spec to say that constructors can be called as a function with
the same result as calling the constructor.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software