consider encoding declaration for script files?

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 00:15:55 -0400
To: "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Hello TC39, et al,

The I18N WG has tasked me [1] with asking you to consider adding an encoding declaration to the definition of ECMAScript similar to the one defined in CSS [2]. Currently, the encoding of a script file is implied by the charset parameter of the script tag in HTML or is somehow inferred from the script itself. Almost all file formats support encoding declaration. Supporting a similar mechanism in ECMAScript will help ensure proper processing of script files containing non-ASCII data.

Please consider adding an encoding declaration.

Regards (for I18N),

Addison

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/04/28-core-minutes.html#action04
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#charset