Possible Agenda items for Joint TC39/WebApps WG meeting

From: Travis Leithead <travil@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 07:03:16 +0000
To: "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
CC: "Mark S. Miller (erights@google.com)" <erights@google.com>, "Allen Wirfs-Brock" <Allen.Wirfs-Brock@microsoft.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "mjs@apple.com" <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Weinig <weinig@apple.com>
I thought I'd put together the short list of possible agenda items for tomorrow's joint meeting. This could be a place to start our discussion from. Some of these have been re-curring discussions of late, a few of these are taken from the mailing list, others have simply been on my mind recently.

1.
"It's not your job" -> specing ECMAScript language features by non-ECMAScript folks
* GOALS: Discuss possible process changes, how to get review (or have TC-39 folks author) any language features needed for legacy browser support.
* GOALS: Not desiring to spec new language features of ECMAScript, just pieces required for legacy browser support.

2.
WebIDL syntax considerations
* Method overloads vs. union types for functions - General focus on EMCAScript binding vs. JavaBinding syntax

3.
Standardizing "Mistakes" (or how to organize the spec to make legacy stuff legacy only)
* ISSUE: 'caller' syntax
* ISSUE: creator/deletor?
* more?

4.
Object catchAlls and related issues
* catchalls and the prototype chain--mixed appraoches in WebIDL necessary?
* preventExtensions() on DOM collections?

5.
New Data Types for W3C Specs in ECMAScript bindings
* GOALS: Discuss a convenient way to have byte arrays (i.e., "data" in general) represented in W3C specs (File API
spec) and ECMAScript itself.
* Binary Data Proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2009OctDec/0093.html

Other topics:
ES5 concepts on DOM objects: accessor or data properties?