Re: Binary data (ByteArray/ByteVector) proposal on public-script-coord

On Nov 5, 2009, at 4:01 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> Charles Jolley wrote:
>> This looks like a good approach.  I wonder if the Data/DataBuilder
>> distinction could be handled better by using the Object.freeze()
>> semantics.  Even if the browser does not support freezing in the
>> general
>> sense yet, you could borrow the ideas for data.
>>
>> Probably the wrong API names, but here is the basic idea:
>>
>> Data.prototype.copy()
>>  -> returns a mutable form of the Data object
>>
>> Data.prototype.freeze() or Data.freeze(aDataObject)
>>  -> makes the Data object frozen if it is not frozen already
>>
>> Data.prototype.frozenCopy()
>>  -> returns the data object but pre-frozen.  For Data object's
>> already
>> frozen can return "this"
>>
>> Data.prototype.frozen - true when frozen, false otherwise.
>
> I don't know why we wouldn't just use Object.freeze. It is not
> unreasonable
> to require support for the ES5 APIs as a prerequisite for the Data
> type.

I disagree here -- i believe mutable vs. immutable data is different
from unfrozen and frozen objects (though i agree that the function
names freeze and frozen are just asking for problems in conjunction
with ES5 :D ).  There are plenty of times where I would want to
provide immutable data (the UA sharing content, etc), but i may still
want to modify the object itself.

Basically i think we're attempting to conflate the ES object with the
data wrapped by the ES object.

--Oliver