Re: Property enumeration on forms

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:23:55 -0700
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>

On Oct 23, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I don't really feel strongly on the subject, however it appears that
> most people on the public-script-coord felt that catch-alls were a
> really bad idea and not something to be furthered. And you could argue
> that adding enumerability to the catch-alls is furthering them.

Although I think there is not the same degree of concern about array-
like index accessors (indeed many conceded that it was a good pattern).

> And since it appears that UAs are far from consistent, it's likely not
> that much content out there that depend on the enumerability of
> catch-alls.

For catch-all getters and index getters on HTMLFormElement that may be
true. But I suspect people do depend on enumeration for
HTMLCollections and NodeLists. Though I'm not really sure what
behavior they would depend on.

What would your recommendation for form element be - that neither
index nor named properties should be enumerable? Only index properties
enumerable?

Regards,
Maciej