Re: [WebIDL] Trying to understand IndexGetter/NameGetter

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:19:16 -0400
To: public-script-coord@w3.org
OK, so I've been thinking about this some more, and here's a possible
alternate proposal for IndexGetter/IndexSetter.   The Name situation is
harder, unfortunately....

Proposal:  Trying to create an indexed property outside the range
supported by the IndexSetter throws.  If there is an IndexGetter but no
IndexSetter, the relevant range is empty.

This has an obvious drawback: throwing in situations where UAs currently
do not.  Said UAs don't interoperate very well on such cases, though
(see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2009OctDec/0042.html)
so it might be that the compat impact is low.

Obvious benefit: not having to define how user-defined properties have
to interact with IndexGetter/Setter stuff, since there is no interaction
between the two anymore.

This is pretty off-the-cuff; are there obvious things that would go
wrong in this setup?

And as I said, not a good option for NameGetter/Setter....