Re: Notes from Monday's meeting with TC39 folks

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 10:47:26 +0200
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Brendan Eich" <brendan@mozilla.org>
Cc: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "Cameron McCormack" <cam@mcc.id.au>, public-script-coord@w3.org
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 20:39:02 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

>> Are you open to making undetected-document.all emulation depend on an
>> HTML standards vs. quirks mode switch?
>
> I think that would be a reasonable option, if that's enough to get the
> bulk of the compatibility benefit and if other implementors are on board.

What's the benefit?

In general I think we should try to minimize the number of differences
between rendering modes. Having differences add implementation complexity
and QA cost.

Browsers could log in their error console about usage of document.all to
discourage authors from using it.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software