Re: Notes from Monday's meeting with TC39 folks

On Oct 8, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

>>> The Reject category is informative, for WebIDL users and would-be
>>> extenders.
>>
>> I don't think a spec needs to mention what's not in the spec.
>> People already complain that it's too long. If this information is
>> really valuable, we could publish it as a Note. That being said,
>> I'm not sure there is anything really in this cateogry.
>
> Overloaded methods with different non-trailing argument types, as in
> canvas's imageData methods, were a candidate -- IIRC (Cameron and
> Mark should chime in here). These seem like anti-patterns.

I must have been thinking of drawImage (not "imageData"), as followups
from Cameron suggest.

> Informative anti-pattern ("don't do this") advice seems critical
> with WebIDL as it is today, or we'll have ES binding woes tomorrow
> and forever.

This point seems important to me still, and I do not think we can yet
try to constrain WebIDL so that you can only say things in it that
have "good" ES bindings. Maybe some day; or perhaps even if possible
it would be a mistake to so tie WebIDL to ES. But whatever we do we
could use short-term informative advice, including on what not to
imitate.

/be