Re: WebIDL: how to address the various audiences and constraints?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 03:13:11 -0700
Cc: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Mike Smith <mike@w3.org>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>

On Sep 30, 2009, at 2:43 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2009, at 21:20 , Cameron McCormack wrote:
>> As for having a simplified version first including only what’s needed
>> for those specs that need Web IDL done quickly, maybe.  HTML5 is by
>> far
>> the biggest user of the esoteric ECMAScript features.  I guess I
>> would
>> like to know, for the authors of dependent specs, how quickly they
>> need
>> Web IDL done.
>

> WebApps has a document in LC that depends on it (Widgets 1.0: The
> widget interface), and it's a really trivial document to test — we
> don't expect it to be long before we can transition, but it is
> blocking on its dependency on WebIDL. I'd say it's at most one month
> before its progress is hampered by process alone.
>
> It's too early to tell but DAP has some low-hanging fruits that I
> would expect it to be possible to make quick progress on (famous
> last words — I know). Here we're looking at a 3-6 months window.

As I understand W3C Process, a spec can enter CR with a dependency
that is still a Working Draft. What is not allowed is for a document
to *exit* CR and transition to PR or REC while depending on a Working
Draft - all dependencies at that point must be CR maturity or higher.
In the timelines above are you referring to completing Last Call and
entering CR, or are you talking about a timeline to complete CR and
enter PR? I believe only the latter would be blocked by a delay in Web
IDL.

Regards,
Maciej