Re: WebIDL: how to address the various audiences and constraints?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:25:15 +0200
To: "Cameron McCormack" <cam@mcc.id.au>, public-script-coord@w3.org
Cc: "Arthur Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com>, "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com>, "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "Mike Smith" <mike@w3.org>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "Paul Cotton" <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:20:10 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
wrote:
> As for having a simplified version first including only what’s needed
> for those specs that need Web IDL done quickly, maybe.  HTML5 is by far
> the biggest user of the esoteric ECMAScript features.  I guess I would
> like to know, for the authors of dependent specs, how quickly they need
> Web IDL done.

Before all the relevant implementation and test suite work is done I
suspect at least a year has passed. So one year from now would be good,
though sooner is better. (For specifications I edit anyway.) Having said
that, settling down on syntax changes I would prefer to do sooner. I'm
fine with more simplifications and nicer looking constructs such as the
recently introduced getter/setter, but it would be nice if we could round
that set of changes up before the end of this year.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/