Re: html for scholarly communication: RASH, Scholarly HTML or Dokieli?

From my own perspective of writing articles in chemistry,  I have done this using  HTML for 20+ years now, converting only to Word at the last stage so that my “co-authors” can then contribute,   I have put at least as much effort into the CSS as  I have the  HTML.  Please excuse if  CSS is discussed in this form as much as HTML, but  I did not see it mentioned below. So we need a software authoring environment that supports  not only HTML,  but also  the  rich CSS set and any “small extensions” as noted below.  I have used just Web browsers to achieve this throughout.

Peter also throws in  "So I just want standard HTML, with a small set of scholarly tags…” Again, excuses for not seeing earlier discussions, but what is the expected support for this small set?  As Martin Fenner describes in his review, my most important extension is largely nicely implemented via  the WordPress extension Kcite, which takes a  DOI, expands it to a full conventional journal citation via Crossref query and then auto-numbers it at the end of the article. But this only works within  WordPress.  DOI handling is  (IMHO) becoming ever more important, since  I view PIDs for data (and other research objects) as just as if not more important as  DOIs for articles (both representing valuable carriers of metadata).  As it happens, Kcite for data has now been broken for about a year, and I much regret that.

I finally add that  again for  20+ years,  I author all my presentations in  HTML and nowadays sprinkle PIDs liberally throughout, including one for the presentation itself.  Whilst mining presentations is probably a lower quality source of data than articles themselves, it might have short term value (if not long term persistence). I do this perhaps in the hope that  e.g. Event Data might help make connections.

PS Martin Fenner; are there two  or just one (now with DataCite?). Hence the use of  ORCID!

Can you take one more  PS? I am in the middle of a communal science project about chemical bonds, involving about  15 co-authors, using not  WordPress but  MediaWiki to author the article.  Perhaps easier than persuading them all to learn  HTML+CSS;  https://bondslam.dipc.org

Henry Rzepa, http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8635-8390