Changes to the hosted extension model Fwd: Schema.org v3.5 release candidate for review

I'm creating a separate thread here for one topic, regarding changes to our
"hosted extensions" model. The document at
https://webschemas.org/docs/extension.html provides an overview.

The essential change is a move away from using named subdomains (
xyz.schema.org) to tag subsections of schema.org, e.g. "bib", "auto", etc.
For now we retain the notion that terms are "in" areas of the site, but
this is no longer to be reflected in site navigation URLs.

This change is motivated by a desire for greater simplicity and clarity.
Publishers were confused about whether the URL for a term when used in
markup needed the subdomain, and on whether the "hosted extension" terms
were "really in" schema.org or not. It has also become clear that the use
of subdomains was a poor fit with the complex, inter-connected nature of
schema development - many topics overlap in subtle ways, and cannot easily
be partitioned into separate disconnected areas.

We continue to welcome collaborations around improving schema.org, and as
always retain our explicit focus
<https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/blob/master/README.md> on "designs
that are grounded in large scale usage on the Web, in particular usage by
data-consuming applications since these in turn motivate data publishers".
The updated extensions documentation
<https://webschemas.org/docs/extension.html> highlights our existing use of
the "Pending" area as our preferred way to bring in new proposed
vocabulary. The Pending section gives us a faster way of publishing
proposals and experimental improvements. As and when applications start
using those terms, we can move them out of the Pending area.

cheers,

Dan