RE: How to express a Person's height

The structured representation of a quantity (e.g. ft/in, DD-MM-YYYY) is important for human users/display, but a simple scaled representation (inches, days, seconds) is better for transport/loading. It would normally be recommended to convert to the structured representation only when building a UI.

From: Michael Andrews [mailto:nextcontent01@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 June, 2019 15:35
To: Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How to express a Person's height

Very good question - how does one represent complex values for existing properties that seem to expect a single value?  Another case would be for a MonetaryAmount that needs to indicate two values, for example, in Mauritania where each ouguiya constitutes five khoums (meaning "one fifth"). The Malagasy ariary, whose division units is also not based on a power of ten, in addition to various historical currencies including the British pound before decimalization.

This is what I tried, without successful validation.  Perhaps I am missing a trick.

First, I tried an itemList for break out feet and inches:

{
"@context": "http://schema.org",
"@type": "Person",
"name": "Jarno",
"height": {
"@type": "ItemList",
"itemListElement": [
{"@type": "QuantitativeValue",
"value": "5",
"unitCode": "FOT"},
{"@type": "QuantitativeValue",
"value": "7",
"unitCode": "INH"}
]
}
}

Next I tried using the PropertyValue

{
"@context": "http://schema.org",
"@type": "Person",
"name": "Jarno",
"height": [
{"@type": "PropertyValue",
"value": "5",
"unitCode": "FOT"},
{"@type": "PropertyValue",
"value": "7",
"unitCode": "INH"}
]
}
}
In both cases, got a message that height didn't expect the itemList or PropertyValue.