Re: Can we make Schema.org rdfs:label values usable for UI forms?

Thanks Dan.

>>> It could be useful to have such strings, but let's use a fresh property
eg alternate Name.
Sure Ok, I've no problem with that. Would you suggest an alternative
Schema.org property, or something else like skos:prefLabel?

But I'm also just curious as to why you'd suggest using a fresh property.
Do you consider the current values of rdfs:label appropriate for Schema.org
(i.e. just the localname of the properties full IRI)?

I only ask 'cos I'd considered the meaning of rdfs:label as simply "As the
creator of this property in this vocabulary, I 'suggest' this string as a
useful very short description of this property to help humans understand
what it is". With that semantic I would think that 'Given name' is an
obviously better rdfs:label value than 'givenName'. And that same meaning
would make rdfs:label values *generally* useful for UI's (but of course if
someone wants their UI to render 'The users first name' instead, then
they're free to add their own property that their app could use to override
this 'default' rdfs:label value).

To strengthen my argument(!) - I think the current rdfs:comment values in
Schema.org are already perfect for use in my UI (e.g. when a user hoovers
over a form label they get a tooltip with the rdfs:comment value giving
them a fuller description of the what the term means).

>>> As for translations, why not publish somewhere else in GitHub to start
with?
Sure, absolutely - I planned on doing exactly that. I had just assumed that
my translations would literally be this simple:
schema:givenName
    rdfs:label "Prénom"@fr ;
    rdfs:label "Nombre de pila"@es ;
    rdfs:label "Vorname"@de .
...but using a fresh property instead of rdfs:label is fine too.

(Actually, this raises another little nitpick - but could the existing
rdfs:label and rdfs:comment values (which are already hugely valuable to me
by the way!) be appended with @en, since at the moment they most definitely
are all in English? I'm thinking that could be a trivial change to
implement :) ).