Re: Discussion topic: How to improve understanding and application of schema.org

Regarding case studies... We have historically minimized any details
relating to specific search engine or similar products/features. It is
important to remain clear that collaboration on such products has always
been out of scope for the Schema.org founders and project.

What we could do is offer a link to the main documentation URL for any
large scale users.

Meanwhile at Google, some case studies were recently posted:
https://developers.google.com/search/case-studies/

I've just got off a flight so will keep other remarks brief, but given the
concerns raised in some messages I did want to respond. The project has
always been grounded in a focus on large scale *usage* of the schemas. This
does not necessarily mean big companies, e.g. it can be opensource,
Wikipedia/Wikidata etc. This focus is not a twisting of the original intent
but foundational to why Schema.org has seen successes that eluded us in
previous efforts around RDF, Linked Data, Semantic Web and so on. I would
encourage folk here to consider putting some energy into building things
that use this data in interesting and creative ways.

Regarding Google's validation tooling, it is primarily a tool to help
publishers understand markup patterns that are associated with tangible
Google functionality. Sometimes we try out ideas before proposing them for
wider consensus, because implementation experience helps in getting things
right.

The relatively recent extension mechanisms at Schema.org, particularly the
Pending area and the editorial drafting site (webschemas.org) are efforts
we've made in the Schema.org project to support a development mode that is
informed by deployment experience. I'll repeat my suggestion that
technologists here explore the ShEx and SHACL languages as possible
platforms for expressing validation patterns in a more interoperable form.
If you do so, please report back to this list.

Dan