Re: Historical events

An argument against a separate type for "historical events" is that as time goes by, you would have to update the type membership of an entity, though it's identity will not have changed. Image the ESWC 2018 conference: It is now a future event, starting on Sunday, but in a week from now, it will be a "historical" event. Still, most of the characteristics of the event, like startdate, enddate, location, sub-events, papers presented, etc. will not change.

One could consider being historical or ongoing/future as *roles* that an entity of type event may carry, same as a human being will be a child vs. a grown-up depending of the temporal context without changing its membership in the rigid type "human being".

Practically: Indicating being historical or non-historical/ongoing/future for an event can be covered very well using xsd:datetime literals. My ZX81 thirty-six years ago could have computed whether the event was historical or not from such data.

Best
Martin

martin hepp  http://www.heppnetz.de
mhepp@computer.org          @mfhepp