Re: Eurocentrism, incorrect unit abbreviations, and proprietary Royalist Engish (sic) terms

Hi all,

I'm a bit puzzled. In order:

David said:

China has metric, Imperial and Chinese units in widespread use.  Why is
> American Imperial more important than Chinese units?  The real question is:
> “Why doesn’t the US adopt the metric system?”

I never said that "American Imperial" units are more important than Chinese
units, or any other units. All I care about re: American units is that the
abbreviations are correct. American websites and publishers will use
American units. Chinese publishers will want to use metric and sometimes
traditional Chinese units (e.g. tael for precious metals weight)​. I assume
we'd want a Chinese version of Schema.org.

​Note also that Imperial units and American units are not the same.
Imperial is British. Wikipedia has a good article covering the differences:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems
​

As for your question about America adopting the metric system, I don't have
a position on that either way, and it's pointless to argue about that here.

Martin said:

As for units of quantitative data, you can use any unit of measurement you
> want, as long as there is either a UN/CEFACT Common Code or a URI for it,
> or if you can establish a standard prefix plus unique identifiers for it.

This is what I'm concerned about. First, the units are already established
as are their abbreviations. We know that a kilogram is kg, a meter is m, a
millisecond is ms, etc. This is all established by the SI or the
International System of Units. SI trumps UN/CEFACT any day of the week. It
would incredibly unwise to deviate from SI standards for unit
symbols/abbreviations.

Note also that UN/CEFACT is a mostly European endeavor. Europe is more
bureaucratic than the US, and CEFACT was an effort to have a centralized...
*specification* I guess we'd call it, for business processes and trade. For
example, they have more than a hundred heavy XML schemas like these:

   - Lodging House Information Request
   - Lodging House Information Response
   - Lodging House Reservation Request
   - Lodging House Reservation Response
   - Lodging House Travel Product Information

​…with the​ idea that all "lodging houses" would use these XML schemas,
across countries and countless other contexts. This kind of thing would
never occur to Americans as something we need to do – centrally planning
the transaction structure and data transmission for random industries
(especially in XML). For another example, see ISO 20222, which desperately
needs to be reformulated in YAML.

​But my main point is: please don't​ use non-standard unit abbreviations.
There's no reason for Schema.org to do that. And for American units,
Wikipedia is a good source for the references:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units. NIST and ANSI
will be the sources for some of them, but there are no surprises here.
American units and their abbreviations haven't changed in decades. (The
definition of a yard and pound, and by extension related units, was
established by the International Agreement on the Yard and Pound in the
1950s, which gave them exact metric definitions/conversion factors.)

Martin's also talking about AK-47s, the NRA, PETA, etc. I don't know where
all that came from. I feel like I missed an e-mail in the thread. If it's
about flexibility, that's great, but it doesn't address my concerns about
the Eurocentrism of the schema, or the Royalist English. (FYI, campsite is
the American term for a "camping pitch") If you confuse American publishers
with a bunch of Royalist English, non-standard unit abbreviations, etc.
they'll be less likely to embrace Schema.org (beyond just having page-level
metadata in a JSON-LD script in the head).

Thad, thanks. I'll put some concise issues on GitHub.

Cheers,

JD​