Re: Additions to Schema.org

Hi Pavly, all possible contributors:
Thanks for your proposals!
I think it is important to explain that the schema.org community is generally conservative about adding new elements, because new elements come at a cost: They make the vocabulary more difficult to learn, use, and manage, and they increase the risk of unintended side-effects, like the duplication of alternative elements that are similar to existing ones.

As a general guideline, we need more specific subtypes only

- if there are, or are likely, applications by major consumers of the data that will need the additional specificity, i.e. that will handle entity data differently based on the specific type. For instance "Parking Lot" and "Amusement Park" as subtypes of "Place" are needed only if e.g. Google would display them differently or if they require additional properties that will be weird at a more abstract type. But in general, we rather put properties one level higher in the type hierarchy rather than adding a subtype only for having a proper place for a property. Otherwise, it will be perfectly fine to use abstract types like "Place" or even "Thing". And then there is always the additionalType property and support for multi-typed entities with external vocabularies;

- if the distinction can be expected to be easily populated, e.g. because it matches database schemas or HTML templates of many sites;

AND

- if the distinction cannot be easily reconstructed from other data sources. For instance, we added a mechanism for EXIF meta-data when we added the PropertyValue mechanism:

    https://schema.org/exifData

This was arguably not really needed, because a search engine parsing the image data can also extract the same meta-data therefrom.

This is an edge-case, but I hope you get the idea. Other examples are pieces of information or meta-data that is readily available from HTTP protocol meta-data or the HTML DOM tree. The latter is again arguable, because we might want to have elements in schema.org that can be reconstructed from HTML, but not from data in other syntaxes.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes
Martin Hepp

martin hepp  http://www.heppnetz.de