Re: Proposal – extension for Athletics

> Without wanting to be contrary, even for something like the Fields Medal
> 1998 or Nobel Prize for Literature 2001 I think Thad's "prize" definition
> is more applicable than his "award, badge, achievement" definition.  At
> least in the sense you don't get a Nobel Prize for, say, finishing writing
> something, but for being the best writer of things among an implicit but
> very real field of competitors (all writers of things, for the Fields all
> practitioners of mathematics).  So I do think that it *is* actually more
> like a prize for athletics than an award for passing an exam.  On the other
> hand, I do concede that a Nobel Prize isn't awarded for an event per se -
> almost more like a prize awarded for a *season *(analogous in sport to
> something like the Heisman Trophy, although there the competitors -
> nominees for the award - are explicit).

This feels like trying to shoehorn something into an overly narrow
definition. Things like the Nobel Prize are for a body of work, which
generally does not have clean cut start/end dates.

And what do you do with things like the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award?
To say Michael Jackson was the "best musician" is an odd interpretation of
that award.

- Vicki