Re: Proposal – extension for Athletics

On 17/05/2017 02:11, Thad Guidry wrote:

> For Nobel Prizes, they are given during a ceremony. Officially on
> invitations sent, correspondence, and the media press kits, it is
> called "The 2016 Nobel Prize Award Ceremony", etc.
> https://www.nobelprize.org/ceremonies/
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-uNKf0Go9Y

There is a big difference between a prize being awarded at an event and
for an event.

You could claim that Nobel prizes are awarded for events such as
discovering the structure of DNA or for "writing, which - in new forms
for the novel and drama - in the destitution of modern man acquires its
elevation", but I think that's stretching the definition.

Aaron's argument that "a prize is always awarded for some sort of
competition, which is in turn always some sort of event" seems wrong to
me on the first point. Not all prizes are for competitions.

However, I think we should try to distinguish between prizes and awards
for achievements such as passing exams. So how about changing the
definition to explicitly say what Aaron asserted (and allow for >1 prize):

"A prize awarded for a competition"

A Nobel Prize may not fall within this definition, but maybe it is more
like an award for passing an exam than a prize for  athletics or solving
crossword puzzles. If we just want a definition of prize in all senses
the word is used we might as well just use
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/prize

Phil

--
Phil Barker           @philbarker