Re: Political Rhetoric Vocabulary

On 15/03/17 17:04, R.V.Guha wrote:

> There is a project I am involved in, that requires vocabulary to
> describe the content on sites such as presidency.ucsb.edu
> <http://presidency.ucsb.edu> and millercenter.org
> <http://millercenter.org>.
>
> We need some vocabulary related to political rhetoric. Some of this is
> US centric. One could argue for portions of this being in the core.
>
> We would like feedback.
>
> guha
>
> Political Rhetoric Vocabulary
>
> New subClass of CreativeWork: Speech, Legislation, PressRelease,
> USPresidentialStatement, Proclamation
>
> New subClass of Speech: InauguralAddress, CollegeCommencementAddress,
> PartyConventionAddress, UnitedNationsAddress
>
> New subClass of Event: PressEvent
>
> New subClass of USPresidentialStatement: USPExecutiveOrder,
> USPStateOfUnionAddress, USPProclamation, USPInauguralAddress,
> USPPressEvent [PressEvent], USPFireSideChat, USPRadioAddress,
> USPStateOfUnionAddress [Speech], USPInauguralAddress
> [InauguralAddress], USPVetoMessage
>
> (terms inside the square parens are additional super classes)

Hi,

What is the reasoning behind having both "InauguralAddress" and
"USPInauguralAddress"? My concern is that (unless we adopt a less
US-centric prefix such as "HOS" - see below) then we will end up with
requests for near-identical classes for many other major countries.

A more nation-neutral approach could be that instead of
USPresidentialStatement we'd use StatementByHeadOfState which then makes
it applicable to most countries including the US (although in the UK the
Head of State is the Queen rather than the Prime Minister, which makes
it slightly difficult)

Sub-classes such as USPStateOfUnionAddress could remain US-centric, but
on many of them the 'USP' prefix could be changed to 'HOS' (for Head of
State) e.g. HOSInauguralAddress. Although if we could think of a prefix
that doesn't technically exclude the UK Prime Minister then that would
be better.

Paul