Re: Encoding geospatial features on schema.org

Hi,

On 11/07/17 19:43, Joan Masó wrote:
> I’m trying to use HTML+schema.org to encode geospatial features in
> html pages.
\o/

> Geospatial features are generally composed by one (or more) geospatial
> attributes and one or more no geospatial attributes. For examples, the
> Mississippi river can be represented by a linestring and the name,
> description, length, etc.

Yep.

> Schema.org, seems great for tagging no geospatial attributes. I have
> some issues with the geospatial objects.

Yep.

> I see there are two objects that I can use: GeoCoordinate and
> GeoShape. If I need to encode a linestring for my river, I could use
> GeoShape but I see no way to specify the projection.

This is not necessarily a *bug*. Schema.org is intended for pretty
general use, so we have tried to keep it simple enough for people to use
it correctly - and that in turn makes some things simplistic to the
point where it doesn't cover all the needs of experts.

In this case, I think our underlying assumption is that we assume WGS84
information, and recognise that this is sometimes going to be
problematic. Given the ability to do better, I would suggest that you
extend the data you provide with non-Schema vocabulary for processors
which can take advantage of the higher precision about what you mean.

> With polygons features, I have even more problems because I cannot see
> how to specify holes in them (a common requirement in land cover maps).

That does seem like a genuine bug. For example it leaves us unable
describe Italy except by including the Vatican City and San Marino, and
I think Schema probably should handle that use case properly.

> Do you know of any implementation of a similar thing that I can check?
>
> I’m missing something and shat I believe is not supported is actually
> supported?
>
> Is it possible to discuss extensions of the model to better support
> geospatial objects? Where?

Yes it is. The best approach is to raise an issue in the Github
repository: https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues

cheers

Chaals