Re: Improvement of www.schema.org/menu

On 1/14/17 10:42 PM, Xavier Gonsalves wrote:
> Many have talked and requested about this but w3 seems to avoid it.

I brought it up here ages ago, but didn't really see any interest.

> Schema should add more properties under restaurant menus like dish
> price, cuisine, spiciness, dish name, ingredients, veg, nonveg, vegan
> category, description .etc..

The complexity seems unwarranted. There is little to no interest in what
is already there.

As is so often the case, schema.org seems intent on creating terribly
complex schemas, in the hopeless quest to account for every conceivable
use case, no matter how edge it is.

> https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/news/2328869/google-tests-restaurant-menus-in-card-results/

A shame, because it means restaurants are forced to break the DRY
principle, and publish their menus on their own website, plus /pay/ some
third party site to publish the same data, just to get it searchable by
google.

I'm using Product markup on one site:

http://tenmercer.com/menu/dinner

but it's largely ignored, since it's just a list of products with no
parent label.

Here are links I posted when I first brought up the idea of a menu schema.

A simple menu:

http://tenmercer.com/temp/schema/menu

Same menu with simple schema using microdata:

http://tenmercer.com/temp/schema/menu-microdata

Same menu with same schema using rdfa:

http://tenmercer.com/temp/schema/menu-rdfa

Frankly, I think even this is overly complicated, and unlikely to get
any significant adoption.

--
Brian Tremblay