Re: One-way connections

In an effective Schema.org implemented site all the entities (persons,
organisations, creative works, etc.) will be described and be given their
own identifiers using Schema.   The web crawlers should be invited to crawl
all these entity pages on the site, hence loading all the descriptions into
the knowledge graph that the crawler is feeding.

It is in those knowledge graphs that the connections would be made.

Equally it may well not be in the scope of the dataset describing person to
have the knowledge of the works they may have authored.  However in another
dataset (potentially on another site somewhere) describing works, the only
knowledge of the author may be a link to an authority (such as VIAF, or
Wikidata).  If that relationship is at least described in one direction,
and both sites have been crawled and loaded into a knowledge graph, that
graph can be used to identify the connections in both directions as Piero
describes.

So to sum up - if the relationships are all held in a local dataset, single
direction connections are sufficient to support querying in either
direction.  If you are dependant on the data being crawled into another
system (knowledge graph) the same is true provided the systems holding both
entity descriptions have ben crawled.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate