Re: Proposal for defining licenses

Excellent points, Pete.

The thought that got the ball rolling was, "how might I model the license
issued by the state of Illinois to this specific plumbing business?" and I
can see utility in defining both the specific license held by that business
and in describing the broader nature of the license itself. That said, I
suspect the schema.org scenario would allow for schema.org consumers to
provide searchers with better results for a query such as:

   - "Licensed contractors near me"
   - "How can I see if this contractor's license is valid?"

This use is better suited to licenses where there is a desire on the
license holder's part to make the license transparent and public (as
opposed to a Driver's License, Passport Number, subscription to a paywall,
etc.).

The broadened scope you pose is good food for thought, and it raises lots
of questions about privacy, security, access control, and the like. In
those more sensitive cases, though, I wonder if there isn't usefulness in
describing types of licenses, as you posit above, so that users might get
answers to queries such as:

   - What licenses apply to hair salons in Los Angeles?
   - When must I apply for a license to fish for salmon in the UK this year?
   - How many parking permits will be issued in 2018 at Chicago's McCormick
   Place and what is the process to get one?

--Eric

--

G+: http://http://gplus.to/ericfranzon