RE: Proposal for defining licenses

Firstly are we talking about types of license (e.g. California Driving License) or specific instances (e.g. Pete’s California Driving License with number NNNN). I’m guessing Eric you have in mind the latter, but not sure what Schema.org scenarios would need that. I suppose it could be useful information about a business e.g. whether an Electrician is licensed. Not sure about driving licenses though.

Other things:

  *   Who the license is issued to (Organization/Person)
  *   Geography/location (e.g. a driving license is for a particular country, a fishing license for a particular area)
  *   Terms and conditions
There may be value in distinguishing who is providing the license (DMV generally) and who actually issued it (e.g. a specific DMV office or clerk)

Would this also apply to:

  *   Passports (could be viewed as a license to travel)
  *   software licenses?
  *   license to watch HBO or access NY Times paywall on n devices?

Pete

Pete  Rivett (pete.rivett@adaptive.com<mailto:pete.rivett@adaptive.com>)
CTO, Adaptive Inc
65 Enterprise, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656