Re: Open intervals for temporalCoverage ?

Richard

> As the documentation for temporalCoverage
> <http://schema.org/temporalCoverage> states, it expects ISO 8601
> time interval format
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Time_intervals>, so the question
> lies there.
>
> Your understanding I believe is correct, that the current version of the
> standard ( *ISO 8601:2000* ) does not support open ended time intervals.
>
> In Dublin Core, which bases its formats on ISO 8601,  open ended
> intervals are supported
> <http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/date-dccd-odrf/> but explicitly
> state “This representation of an *open date range* is *not* compatible
> with the representation of a time-interval defined by ISO8601:2000.”
>
> This has been the subject of a short https://github.com/project-
> open-data/project-open-data.github.io/issues/415.

Many thanks for the pointers.

> I support their conclusion that an open ended time period would be
> currently best represented by the appropriate use [or non-use] of
> schema:startDate and schema:endDate.

Indeed, but the problem is that schema:startDate and schema:endDate don't
have CreativeWork in their Domain, while temporalCoverage does. Shouldn't
startDate and endDate apply to CreativeWork too, if we want to be
consistent ?

Thomas