Re: Health-Lifesci extension question

On 11 September 2016 at 05:13, Timothy Holborn
<timothy.holborn@gmail.com> wrote:
> so,
>
> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=diet+food+drinks&tbm=shop
>
> Results show the top food results relating to health often relates to
> pet-care.
>
> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=diet+meal&tbm=shop  isnt much better.
>
> https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=shop&q=dietary+supplements  shows
> mostly pills (note the use of the term 'dietary supplements')
>
> https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=shop&q=diet+lifestyle yields books
>
> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=diet+lifestyle&tbm=isch yields a bunch of
> images saying "not a diet, its a lifestyle"
>
> and i haven't seen a diet cola bottle yet.

Your point being?

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 at 11:17 Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tim,
>>
>> No one is trying to change the definition that we currently have in
>> Schema.org
>>
>> In the world there are generally 2 generally used definitions of Diet.
>>
>> 1. That typically spoken about by a Biologist. (biological needs of a
>> lifeform)
>>

>> 2. That typically spoken about by a Nutritionist.  (Lifestyle or
>> Restricted or Health goal oriented)

Agreed.

> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q2138622
>

>> Schema.org has # 2 (well, mostly aligned with # 2)
>
> The namespace is health-lifesci.schema.org

Please do not read too much into that.  It is not formally a distinct
namespace in the W3C RDF sense; schema.org's namespace is flat, the
extension/subdomain extension structure is an organizational view into
a (fairly :) unified whole. The URI for the term is
http://schema.org/Diet

As we say in that page,

"The schema.org medical vocabulary was originally created in
collaboration with WikiDoc and others. Recent improvements including
the migration into the health-lifesci extension has been led by the
Healthcare Schema (schemed) community group at W3C. The health-lifesci
schema.org extension is available for other collaborative schema.org
extensions in topics centred on healthcare, medicine and the
lifesciences (e.g. see also Bioschemas, and the pending proposals for
describing US healthcare insurance networks)."

This makes clear that this section of schema.org is intended as a home
for medical and healthcare terms but also those from the broader life
sciences, which would make #1 a reasonable reading.

>> Wikidata.org has # 1 (currently, but were the referenced Wikipedia article
>> meaders back and forth between # 1 and # 2...but no matter, the Wikidata
>> topic is firmly in the realm of # 1 with its current description)
>>
>> The two classes are not equivalent but where Dan and others are saying #2
>> could be thought of as a subclass of #1.
>

> IMHO the use of 'diet' in search has an array of semantics.  I responded due
> to the implications the use of a term such as 'diet' may relate to medical
> conditions (ie: in food-ingredients and menu related lists) so people can
> buy a food that is compatible with those intending to consume it.
>
> Research shows; the term 'diet' is also used for selling pet-food, protein
> shakes, books, diabetes information sessions, etc.  The current wikidata
> term (which doesn't really fit) speaks more of (1) as well pointed out.
> nutrician seems to be a better fit for the current usage of 'diet' however
> the schema hierarchy of defining the health-usage of the term 'diet' under
> 'lifestyleModification' and thereafter is defined as a subclass of
> http://health-lifesci.schema.org/LifestyleModification that has a
> description of "A process of care involving exercise, changes to diet,
> fitness routines, and other lifestyle changes aimed at improving a health
> condition." which as a class appears to relate to
> http://health-lifesci.schema.org/MedicalEntity - which is a term 'loosely
> coupled' with other Agents such as 'fitness instructor' of 'chef', who with
> the best of intentions - may be an expert of an element.
>

>> I'm OK with that and now just need to get Wikidata 'external subclass'
>> figured out.
>> I've posited the question to them on their mailing list and awaiting a
>> response.
>>

> I think dan also noted not to worry to much about it, and i understand your
> trying to map wikidata.  So, perhaps simply - duly noted for now?

I think so.

Dan