Re: Health-Lifesci extension question

On 10 September 2016 at 02:38, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I am working through the Wikidata mapping to Schema.org...
>
> A question came up.
>
> Is Diet https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q474191
> the same as http://health-lifesci.schema.org/Diet  ??
>
> Note that the Wikidata topic on Diet points to an English Wikipedia article
> on Diet as known by nutritionist. (not necessarily about a Weight Loss Diet
> or strategy, but about a the sum of food intake, or the selection of foods
> choosen.
>
> I personally think I have the right equivalent class on the Wikidata topic,
> but wanted to check with others to make sure, since getting it wrong is
> taboo in the Health-Lifesci domain and can have grave consequences I'm sure.

(on that last point, it is good to strive for quality, accuracy and
clarity, but these mapping assertions should be at some distance from
application-level grave decisions)

What mapping vocabulary do you have at your disposal? This seems like
a close but imperfect match.

We have "A strategy of regulating the intake of food to achieve or
maintain a specific health-related goal." whereas Wikidata has "sum of
food consumed by an organism".

C elegans (nematode worm) has a wikidata:Diet, e.g.

"We show that worms exhibit dietary choice: they hunt for high quality
food and leave hard-to-eat bacteria. This food seeking behavior is
enhanced in animals that have already experienced good food. When
hunting for good food, worms alternate between two modes of
locomotion, known as dwelling: movement with frequent stops and
reversals; and roaming: straight rapid movement."

It is less clear that any individual worm's 302 neurons are
strategically pursuing a health-related goal, which would be the
Schema.org sense. Our type is concerned with explicit dietary
management (and shared documentation of same), whereas wikidata's
could be used to talk about the general behaviour of any living thing
w.r.t. its food intake. A schema.org "Diet" is a social abstraction
that can be named, endorsed, evaluated, documented etc.

I would say schema:Diet is a subclass of wikidata:Diet, at best, or a
skos:closeMatch, if you have the option to express something like
that.

Both types are pretty fuzzy, not worth overthinking this.

Dan